Currently Booking Visits for 2021-2022*
While the majority of my visits have been virtual in Covid times, I am now adding back in-person visits, along with virtual, for the remainder of this school year and next year. If you are interested in one of the below programs, or a customized session, please fill out this form and my school visit coordinator will be in touch soon. For other appearance-related questions, please email: tjshay [at] gmail [dot] com. My virtual visit sessions are 50 minutes long with the exception of the Story Time + Q & A session which is 30 minutes.
(*Please read my Code of Conduct for Virtual Visits before you book an online appearance or school visit.)
PLANTING STORIES (for k-5th)
(Perfect for Latinx History Month/ National Library Week/ Children’s Book Week)
Celebrate Latinx History any month of the year by hosting a virtual visit with Pura Belpré Honor-winning author, Anika Aldamuy Denise, author of Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré.
- For K-2 Learn about trailblazing Latina librarian, author, storyteller, and puppeteer Pura Belpré—who told stories in English and Spanish—and how she reshaped libraries, story times, and kids’ imaginations. See an example of puppets based on two well-known characters from Latin American folklore (and one of Belpré’s most beloved books) Pérez and Martina.
- For 3-5, the program is similar to the above but includes an optional writing activity. The activity demonstrates how a specific moral and a folktale’s geographical/cultural origins work together in oral storytelling traditions. For both grade levels, there is an optional Perez and Martina puppet-making activity template and materials list provided.
TALES & TRAILBLAZERS (for k-5th)
(Perfect for Latinx Heritage Month/ Women’s History Month/ Caribbean History Month)
Host a virtual visit with Anika Aldamuy Denise, award-winning author of Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré and A Girl Named Rosita: The Story of Rita Moreno: Actor, Singer, Dancer, Trailblazer!.
- For K-2 Learn about two Latina trailblazers: Pura Belpré and Rita Moreno, who were not only pioneers in their fields, but used their talents to help forge a path for others.
- For 3-5, the program is similar to the above but also touches on the research process and offers tips that will help students with personal narrative writing.
SECRETS TO STORYTELLING (for k-5th)
Put on your detective hats and uncover the secrets to telling good stories with award-winning author Anika Aldamuy Denise, who writes fiction and nonfiction picture books.
- For K-2 In this session, Anika will share tips and tricks she uses to brainstorm ideas, create characters, write dialogue, think up good endings, and more.
- For 3-5, the program is similar to the above but includes a creative writing activity.
STORY TIME + Q & A (for k-5th)
Choose any one of my books and host a virtual story time! Students will have the opportunity to ask questions after the read-aloud. (This session is 30 minutes long.)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the cost of your virtual visit?
A: My honorarium for a single 50-minute sessions is $400.00. A read-aloud 30-minute session is $280.00. I often provide discounts for booking multiple sessions.
Q: Can we still book a full-day virtual visit with the author?
A: Absolutely! My school visit coordinator and I will work with you to create a fun full-day virtual visit schedule, which can include break out sessions, writing workshops, and autographing.
Q: How can we order signed books for the students in advance of or after your visit?
A: We can do this a number of ways. You can order through the publisher, order through my local indie bookstore, or I can send signed bookplates.
Q: Do you offer bilingual or Spanish-language visits?
A: Not at this time, however, I am happy to read the Spanish editions of my books and/or provide some pre-planned content in Spanish. For live Q&A, I ask a teacher for help with translation.